I wanted to pass the word that the 31st Mill Cities Relay will be held Sunday, December 5, 2021 at 8:00 AM. This is our annual year end race where SQRR competes with the 20 area running clubs of the Mill Cities Alliance, in a closed invitational event for the end-of-season championship standings and bragging rights.
This is first and foremost a club participation event. Each year we have many classes that we can’t front a team for. As a smaller running club, we are always at a disadvantage to cover all the established race classes. We would like to encourage every able-bodied runner to join us for this race, as we have both recreational and competitive teams.
If you can jog 2 miles, we have a spot for you! Speed or ability is absolutely not a factor! On the other hand, if you’re ready to compete at a high level we’ve got a team for you too, and we’re proud to have even won several bricks over the past few years. This is one SQRR’s largest race participation event of the year so please be sure to join us!
A few points of interest…
- Last year we had a record 11 SQRR teams and had 53 runners participate!
- The race is a person-to-person baton relay race beginning in Nashua and ending at the Claddagh Pub in Lawrence.
- They close down the Claddagh Pub (large establishment with 2 floors) for a post race party with over 1100 runners. 36 beers on tap and a great buffet.
- Leg lengths are 5.6, 4.75, 2.5, 9.5, and 4.75. Total length is 27.1 miles.
- Run for free… SQRR pays all club member fees for this event!
- Each relay team consists of five runners except the female seniors, female veterans and coed veterans that consists of three runners.
- Runners must be older than 18 years due to the “adult nature” of this event (run on open roads with cars, after party, etc.)
- There are many race team categories:Open, Submasters, Masters, Seniors, Veterans, Male, Female, Coed, etc.
- The top teams in each class receive the highly coveted brick trophies… amongst the most coveted awards in regional running races!
So let us know if we can count you in!
Email Bob Zanelli
or reply on our SQRR Mill Cites Relay Facebook Event.